It's in earnest now. I've been working on the premise and cover blurb, and I'll work on the first 500 words after my poll closes tomorrow, but I also want to read through and revise my manuscript one more time.
I haven't been to the acquisitions form page yet to see what I have to send or how I have to send it. That will probably happen today. You may be wondering why it hasn't happened yet.
I don't handle stress well. I suffer from "eye twitch." My optometrist tells me it's caused by an excess of histamine, and I certainly have that, but stress is what triggers the twitch.
I can feel it building, a little bit of tension in my left eyelid. I haven't started twitching yet, but the last time I did, it lasted four months. That's a long time to tolerate a twitching eye.
This is why I'm taking one baby step at a time. I'm trying to convince my eye there is nothing to worry about. Everything will be fine. I don't know if it will believe me.
I don't plan to wait until the 29th to submit, actually. I'm thinking the 28th is better, so technically I have 6 days to contest, and then the Sabbath rest, followed by mozzarella sticks and a mocha java chiller.
I would like to say I'm excited. I can't get excited about this. Excitement leads to hope, and I really don't think I have a hope of making it past the first round. I hate the crash of hope deferred, so I prefer to remain in a semi-calm state of disinterest.
I do have moments when I think "This is good. I'm doing a good job," followed almost immediately by "too bad it won't matter."
Welcome to my thought life. Depressing, isn't it?
Don't let it get you down. I don't dwell on this stuff. I'm just a turtle, plodding ahead, trying not to worry about what might happen.
I can promise you, if I make it past the first round, they will hear the "Woo-Hoo" in Colorado Springs. Followed almost immediately by the sound of vomiting.
Woo-hoo.
PS: I just checked the acquistions form requirement. It's basically the same things as the contest wants, just slightly different word counts: 10 word hook, 100 word premise, 750 word synopsis and first 500 words. Sounds about right. I'm strangely calm right now. I'm sure I'll freak out later.
It's how you eat an elephant - one bite at at time!
ReplyDelete