I was lying in bed, regretting that late night M&M Sonic Blast as only the lactose intolerant can, mentally reciting lines from Conan the Destroyer when it occurred to me not everyone may do that.
A few weeks ago I started posting a daily "where's it from?" movie quote on my FB wall. Now, I write it early in the morning, so it's likely many of my Friends don't even know it's there. Elder Brother has certainly failed to chime in on occasions when I know for a fact he would recognize the quote, but he has other things to do.
I've been surprised by who knows which movies. I've been amused by a few who've never seen the movies but feel compelled to answer. Seems you can find just about anything with Google nowadays. Is it cheating? Shrug. Only if I gave a real prize instead of a "well done!"
Fact is, every quote I post is one that happens to be running through my head at the time. In my life, I've watched 100s if not 1000s of movies, and I remember stunning amounts of trivial information from those I like.
I am an audio/visual learner. One of the reasons I did so well in school. Auditory learning is my main strength. Couple it with watching a teacher do stuff while droning on, and you have a student who can ace almost any test given within a few weeks of said lecture. You also have a human who imprints movies like a duckling imprints its mother upon hatching.
I suspect I can quote nearly verbatim any movie I really like. So I Married An Axe Murderer was memorized in two sittings. The Money Pit, Galaxy Quest, Alice's Adventures in Wonderland (the live action version from 1980 complete with soundtrack) - no problem. I actually hold back my quoting capacity in company "because I'm tired of being stared at (where's it from? It's a paraphrase)."
I've done this most of my life. Decades ago, a friend finally figured out that "key words" trigger this knee jerk need to quote. I suspect I could speak only in movie quotes for some time. Add in TV shows, and I would never utter another original sentence. Remember that Star Trek NG episode with the aliens who only spoke in metaphors? Like that.
But I don't. I keep it for those few close friends who don't stare, and the late night Sonic Blast regret sessions. How about you?
If Elder Brother guessed all the movie lines on FB then what would your other FB Friends do for entertainment?
ReplyDelete